Frida Kahlo is one of my all-time favorite artists. She lived a life full of pain and spent many of her days in a hospital bed with a paintbrush and canvas. Despite all of her suffering, she still managed to turn that pain into wonderful works of art.
1. “I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.”
Sometimes the only one who understands you is you. Hence the reason why art can be such a great form of expression.
2. “I don’t paint dreams or nightmares, I paint my own reality.”
Your reality is so very different from my reality.
3. “I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.”
Reminds me of the Pablo Picasso quote in an earlier article: “If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.”
4. “My painting carries with it the message of pain.”
Some of the saddest things have the most beautiful ending. It’s amazing that someone could turn a lifetime full of pain into something so productive and permanently beautiful.
5. “I leave you my portrait so that you will have my presence all the days and nights that I am away from you.”
This is perhaps one of the most thoughtful and sentimental gifts you could ever give to someone.
6. “I paint flowers so they will not die.”
This could quite possibly be one of the most beautiful reasons I have ever heard as to why one paints.
7. “Painting completed my life.”
Art is truly fulfilling and makes for wonderful therapy.
Share Frida Kahlo’s wisdom by using the buttons below and let us know what you think in the comments.