Illustrations by Casey Webb
It’s obvious that Pablo Picasso was a true believer of trying new things. When illustrating the picture for this article, I decided to redo my original as shown in Part 1, but in a style similar to Picasso’s. After you read this, I think you’ll understand why I was so inspired to do so. Don’t forget to check out Part 1 here!
1. “Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.”
From his blue period, to his rose period, to his surrealism. Seeing just how much Picasso’s art evolved and changed throughout the years really gives substance to these quotes.
2. “Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.”
Art is the beauty of a sometimes ugly world.
3. “If there were only one truth, you couldn’t paint a hundred canvases on the same theme.”
There’s always another way to look at something.
4. “Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun.”
It’s not what you do, but how you do it.
5. “The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider’s web.”
So convey those emotions, you!
6. “Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility.”
…and a lack of ideas, inspiration and, therefore, content.
7. “To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic.”
You may never be able to create something that’s 100% original, but you can always try something that’s new to you.
8. “God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant and the cat. He has no real style, He just goes on trying other things.”
When you don’t limit yourself, your possibilities are endless and everything you create is just that much more unique.
9. “Everything you can imagine is real.”
So bring it to life, for there are those who would have never even thought of it.
10. “The world today doesn’t make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?”
Isn’t part of the beauty of art that it can be anything and everything?
11. “Are we to paint what’s on the face, what’s inside the face, or what’s behind it?”
Or perhaps not the face at all, but rather the emotion that lies within the face.
12. “Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not.”
Just as you should ask – not just with your artistic abilities, but your abilities and potential as a whole.
13. “I do not seek. I find.”
Spend more time doing and less time thinking.
14. “If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.”
Remember, don’t over think it.
There’s more!.. Read pt. 1 of Pablo Picasso’s quotes to inspire artists here.
Share this using the buttons below and let us know what you think in the comments.