Art makes me fall in love with an artist’s work, but their words make me fall in love with their souls. Going into this, I already knew that Pablo Picasso had some good quotes, then once I saw just how many are floating around in the ether of the interwebs I knew this was more than likely going to end up being a two part-er. By reading his words, it’s obvious that he believed in working hard as well as trying new things (which will be more obvious in part two.) It’s truly amazing how, thanks to the internet, we have one of the greatest artists of all time at our finger tips to give us advice. The same key principals to success really haven’t changed much since his time. For more Pablo Picasso quotes, check out Part 2 here.
1. “Every act of creation is first an act of destruction.”
Whatever you create, be sure it’s an upgrade to the existing material.
2. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.”
So don’t let the world steal it away.
3. “It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.”
Children are blessed with knowing no rules in their endeavors of creativity; strive to find the child within you.
4. “My mother said to me, ‘If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.’ Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso.”
Some day, I hope to become Casey Webb.
5. “You have to have an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.”
Otherwise, you may be sorely disappointed when instead you could be pleasantly surprised.
6. “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
Strategize and work hard. If an artist’s first passion is art, their second should be business.
7. “Action is the foundational key to all success.”
You can’t make progress standing still.
8. “Work is a necessity for man. Man invented the alarm clock.”
You need a reason to get out of bed in the morning.
9. “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.”
Don’t wait forever on the “right time” – the right time is now.
10. “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.”
If you don’t get any enjoyment from what you invest all your time in doing, then what investment are you really making?
11. “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.”
Don’t let your lack of skill be an excuse not to become better.
12. “He can who thinks he can, and he can’t who thinks he can’t. This is an inexorable, indisputable law.”
“I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!”
13. “Give me a museum and I’ll fill it.”
Rid yourself of perfectionism, and equip yourself with ambition, and suddenly you’ll get a lot more done.
14. “I’d like to live as a poor man with lots of money.”
There’s more!.. Read pt. 2 of Pablo Picasso’s quotes to inspire artists here.
Share this using the buttons below and let us know what you think in the comments.